Exegin’s implementation of Zigbee PRO uses the same four-layer architecture defined in the Zigbee PRO network specification: physical (PHY), media access (MAC), network (NWK), and application (APL).
The lowest architectural layers, the PHY and MAC layers, are based on the IEEE 802.15.4 specification. Tokay supports a range of 802.15.4 radio chipsets and USB radio sticks.
Above the MAC layer is the NWK layer. This layer includes functionality for mesh networking, allowing any node in a Zigbee network to potentially take on the role of Zigbee Coordinator (ZC) or a Zigbee Router (ZR). Tokay is capable of acting as a coordinator, router, or an end-device.
At the top of the Zigbee PRO stack is the APL layer. Tokay provides Zigbee Cluster Libraries (ZCL) and a framework for developers to add their own application-specific functionality. Tokay also provides the common application functionality that is offered by every Zigbee device (embodied in the Zigbee Device Object, or ZDO).
The stack implements the full AES CCM* security suite.
Because Tokay is designed for 32-bit processors, and not resource constrained 8-bit SoCs, it affords you the flexibility and capacity to implement the application you need:
- Any radio. A hardware abstraction layer, called WPAN, lets you plug in drivers for 802.15.4 radios from any vendor.
- Multiple simultaneous radios. Create a single Zigbee device that participates in multiple security domains. Or build a Zigbee node that simultaneously supports both 2.4GHz and 900MHz radios.
- Heavy-duty performance. Tokay takes advantage of the memory available in larger systems to perform as a coordinator and a Trust Centre in the center of a mesh. The number of endpoints, neighbors is limited only by the amount of memory available. Stack version (2007, PRO) and type of node (coordinator, router, or end-device) is determined at run time, not compile time.
- Zigbee PRO 2017 Stack Profiles
- Zigbee 2007
- Zigbee PRO
- 802.15.4 MAC implementations
- 802.15.4 2011 (CSMA)
- 802.15.4 2015 (CSMA and LBT)
- WPAN layer supports multiple MACs
- 802.15.4 Radio Drivers
- ADI: ADF7023
- ADI: ADF7242/7241
- Atmel: AT86RF212
- Atmel: AT86RF231
- Atmel: AT86RF215
- TI: CC2420
- TI: CC1200
- Microchip: MRF24J40
- STMicro: STM32W108
- NXP: OL2385
- 802.15.4 USB Dongles
- PAN Abstraction layer for easy porting
- Cluster Libraries Support
- Zigbee Cluster Library ZCL7
- Zigbee Smart Energy 1.X
- Zigbee Green Power Proxy Basic
- Operating Systems
- FreeRtos, eCos, uC/OS-II, Linux and bare metal
- OS Abstraction Layer for easy porting
- CPU Architectures
- ARM, MIPS, PowerPC, x86
- Programming Language
Exegin provides dual or single band Zigbee 3.0 with Green Power proxy basic demonstration units. These units are variations on Exegin’s Q55 Zigbee PRO 2017 dual band Golden Units. These units can be used for engineering and evaluation purposes. Please see learn more for reference to startup and command line control information.